Typical main dish of traditional simple cooking, originally from the Italian Region: Emilia Romagna. The recipe is based on bread crumbs, cheese, eggs. Passatelli are traditionally served in broth, but lately the recipe is back in vogue in many different preparations, even dry, perhaps with a delicious mushroom sauce or something dictated by the chef. Yummy !
Passatelli in Broth
- for the meat broth:
- 3 liter water
- 1.5 kg of beef or cow and chicken mix
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 or 3 stalks of celery
- salt and pepper to taste
- cloves (optional)
- for Passatelli:
- 100 g of grated bread
- 70 grams of grated parmesan reggiano or grana
- 2 large eggs
- 1 nutmeg
- zest of 1 lemon
- 20 grams of of beef bone marrow (optional)
Prepare the meat broth as your custom. If you need directions for the broth here they are:
- Fill a large soup pot with about 3 liters of cold water. Clean onions, carrots and celery. If you like the aroma of cloves insert them in the whole onion. Dip the vegetables in the pot. Add a little salt and pepper and bits of flesh and bones for broth. Put them on a medium heat. As soon as the water boils, close the lid and lower the heat and simmer gently for about 2 or 3 hours. Correct salt. When you think that meat is cooked, well boiled and tender, pick the vegetables and meat. You can taste the boiled meat and vegetables as main course with delicious sauces. Foam broth, removing excess fat and debris that are on the surface. At this point, the broth is ready to host your passatelli.
- For the preparation of passatelli you can mix the ingredients by hand or with a robot kneader. Mix the eggs with the cheese and grated bread.
- Add a little salt, grated peel of 1 lemon, some grated nutmeg, and work the ingredients until you get a ball. This ball should be homogeneous, compact but soft and malleable. Place the dough to rest and when the broth boils crush with the special tool (iron for passatelli) or with a potato masher with holes,
- passatelli by dropping directly into the broth. Pinch out the dough by making holes in the long and consistent vermicelli. After just 5 minutes passatelli will be ready to serve in the broth warm.
- Buon Appetito!
Tagged: beef broth, bread crumbs, Chicken broth, cooking, cousine, Egg, grana cheese, home made recipe, italian, italian broth, italian cheese, italian main dishes, meat broth, Parmesan, Parmigiano Reggiano, passatelli, passatelli di romagna, poor cooking, recipe, traditional