Malvani chicken or Sagoti is very popular coastal region recipe in Maharashtra. It’s prepared using lots of fresh coconut which is easily available in Konkan area.
Malvani chicken curry
- Ingredients for Marination
- Boneless Chicken – 1 lb
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Ginger -1 inch
- Green Chilly paste -1 /2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – a handful
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Nutmeg powder – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Ingredients for Malvani Masala
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Shahi Jeera – 1 tsp
- Cloves – 3
- Bay Leaves – 2
- Star anise – 1
- Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch
- Black Pepper corns- 3
- Javitri 1 piece
- Onion sliced – 1 big
- frozen / fresh Coconut – ¾ cup
- Ingredients for Malvani Chicken Curry
- Onion ,chopped – 1
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1tsp
- Garam Masala- ½ tsp
- Degi Mirch powder- 1&1/2 tsp
Grind garlic, green chilli, ginger, lemon juice, coriander leaves and salt together in to blender.
- Apply this mixture over chicken pieces well and marinate this for 1 hour.
- Dry roast all the ingredients of malvani masala as mentioned above .
- Heat 1 tsp of oil into pan and add sliced onion and cook till onion gets light brown color.
- Add frozen coconut and continue cooking till coconut gets light brown color.
- Add a dash of nutmeg, mix and wait till it becomes cool.
- Once masala cools down, blend to make a smooth puree.
- Place the same pan on medium flame and add the oil into it.
- Then add chopped onion and fry till onion becomes light golden in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala, red chilli powder and cook for 2 mts.
- Add marinated chicken pieces, mix well, add water, salt, cover and cook till chicken gets cooked.
- Add ground onion, coconut masala, mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with Wheat naan.